Sunday, January 13, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent

So last year I decided I wanted to try making my own laundry detergent. I tried a recipe I found on Pinterest HERE.
But I tweaked it a bit and I like it so much more. 
Here's what you'll need...
(Sorry I forgot to take the pic until after I made the batch)

*1 large box of Baking soda (4lb)
*1 large box of washing soda (3lb 7oz)
*1 large box of Borax (4lb 12oz)
*1-2 containers of Unstopables (I like mine SUPER fragrant so I use 2, but I think for most people 1 would be plenty)
*1 small jar of Fruit Fresh (5oz) ( I have hard water so this helps with the build up on my clothes)
*1 bar of Fels-Naptha (finely grated, I like to use my food processor)
*(not pictured) 4oz of Oxyclean (I sometimes use the store brand cleaner to keep cost low; but this time I got the real stuff on sale at Costco)

You just dump it all in a garbage bag (double bagged); and then mix it up and you're done. Its super quick and has lasted me about a year. If you want it to look prettier you can do what I do and get a jar from Walmart for about $10. Then I just keep the big bag hidden until I need to refill the jar. 
Here's what it looks like when you're all done...
I use 1-2 T per load, or just a small scoop out of the store brand Oxyclean at walmart. When its kiddos clothes I do an extra scoop of Oxyclean. It has worked so great and I think it cleans as well as any store bought detergent. I can't find my receipt  but I think it was between $30-$35 for a whole year's worth of detergent (depending on how much Unstopables and the kind of Oxyclean). I feel pretty good about that!

Try it out and let me know what you think! I'd love any questions or feedback anyone has.
HAPPY WASHING! :)

No comments: